Tuesday, May 12, 2009

LITTLE BOOTS INTERVIEW FOR DAZED DIGITAL



LITTLE BOOTS NEW IN TOWN
Dazed Digital get an exclusive behind the scenes video of the making of Little Boots' video for new single New in Town.
Text by David Hellqvist | Published 12 May 2009

Most people who read newspapers and magazines know of her, but far from everyone have actually heard a Little Boots song. That might make her a victim of today’s media hype machine, but luckily Victoria Hesketh, as her mum still calls her, isn’t a fatal victim; her music is too good and her charisma too strong. "I just love good songs with great choruses and beautiful melodies!," is her music mission. The odd EP has trickled out, and any self-respecting hardcore fan already knows all her lyrics, but New in Town is her first proper single and a taster of what Hands, her debut album due out in June, will sound like. Paired up with a smashing video, directed by Jake Nava of Beyoncé, Britney and Leona fame, New in Town is set to storm the charts and Dazed Digital got a quick chat with Little Boots herself on a forever fading mobile phone connection, as she headed back to London from promotional duties in Paris.

Dazed Digital: You started playing the piano aged four – are you a natural born performer?
Little Boots: I guess so. I don’t know where it came from; it just felt good so I kept on doing it. But I’m not from a musical family at all – my dad is tone deaf!

DD: Then, aged 16, you went on Pop Idol. How was that?
Little Boots: It was a good experience because I realised more about myself and what kind of music I wanted to make. Those kind of shows gives you a thick skin because you have to learn to live with setbacks.

DD: Are you happy you didn’t win?
Little Boots: Oh my God, yes! That was the best thing about it!

DD: You love doing covers - why is that?
Little Boots: It started as a joke, but the fans love it so now I do it for them. I take requests on my MySpace page. But it will also make me a better songwriter, because I have to take them apart and deconstruct the songs before I cover them.

DD: New in Town is about being somewhere unknown and you’ve said before that many of your songs are about outsiders – is that how you feel?
Little Boots: Yeah, it’s about being a stranger in a new situation. I wrote it when I was in Los Angeles on my own, feeling isolated. I went to bars and got drunk with strangers. But it’s also about the dangerous side to it, and the excitement!

DD: Tell us about the video
Little Boots: It’s set in Los Angeles, but not Hollywood, more downtown LA. There’s a lot of choreographed dancing and it’s supposed to feature society’s underbelly, like tramps, homeless people and gangs.

DD: What was it like working with Jake Nava?
Little Boots: He’s great. He didn’t have to do this video, he’s established and massive, but I think he just wanted to do something different.

DD: Why is New in Town the first single of Hands?
Little Boots: I think it’s a good introduction to the album, which is very colourful. But this is a good song to listen to for people who have never heard of Little Boots before.

No comments: